Advertisement

The Name Game: The Choosing of Character Names in Post-Tolkien Fantasy

The Name Game: The Choosing of Character Names in Post-Tolkien Fantasy My favorite quote from Romeo and Juliet is Sr. Capulet in remarking to his party guests "It is so late that it will be early by and by."

My second favorite (which is more pertinent to this video) is Juliet in her rather famous preponderance of "What's in a name?"

Turns a lot of readers and writers have opinions on the importance of our fictional names, some of which I care about.

A bit.

More importantly, in the video, I boasted I would include some links a number of excellent audio books for anyone who might be in search of them, so...

THE HOBBIT


HOWL'S MOVING CASTLE


STRANGER IN A STRANGE LAND


THE LITTLE PRINCE


PRIDE AND PREJUDICE


Also, at some point when doing the subtitles, I noticed I pronounce "Silmarillion" wrong. Which... I mean, on the one hand, sorry. On the other, fantasy names that read like Vogon Poetry was kinda the point of the video. so there we are.

Author,Writing,Novel,Storytelling,LOTR Criticism,Fantasy names,writing genre fiction,

Post a Comment

0 Comments